For about a year now, I have been toying with the idea of improving the page titles on this site and my other site - Mad About Madrid. Well, last month I finally took the plunge and changed page titles across both sites. I work with TypePad Advanced templates and, not being a coder myself, was daunted by the prospect of having to do it myself. I had identified a company that could do it - for a price - but decided to dig a little deeper to find a free solution.
I spend a great deal of time advising clients on how to create well tuned page titles and now thanks to Wal Mart Files I have now managed to change the page titles on individual blog articles, category pages and archives. The process outlined by these guys was idiot-proof and took little time to implement. In the past a blog post would have had a page title like this:
Marketing Tom - Google Adwords Seminars USA
the new page title reads like this:
Google Adwords Seminars USA
This may seem like a small change but just try a Google search for the terms "Google Adwords Seminars of "Google Seminars" and see where this page appears. Google did take a little while to spider most pages on the sites but the effect is still clear - increased traffic. Just to give you an idea of how effective this has been, here are the stats on both Google Analytics and StatCounter for the last 5 month - notice the increase from April.