In July I purchased an Apple iPad with WiFi and 3G. Having just come back from holidays and used it quite extensively I must say I am still very pleased with the purchase - even though it did cost £599. Very quickly, here are some of the things that have particularly impressed me.
1. The fact that it fires up so quickly. Having used a laptop for so long you get used to waiting for up to 5 minutes for the thing to load. The iPad can get and download emails within 5-10 seconds! Google queries in next-to-no-time.
2. Multi-touch capability. Expand, open, move - all done with your fingers. I know the same capabilities exist with the iPhone but the iPad takes it to another level.
2. Keyboard. Though the keyboard is touchscreen and it is smaller than a standard laptop keyboard, you can quite easily write up emails, do spreadsheets and even write up documents with no problem.
3. The ability to be able to download, view and respond to emails in with great viewing panel and keyboard. I did quite enjoy driving past the local internet cafe in Spain to download my latest emails via WiFi (they never changed the code)!
4. I must say I did read a couple of books whilst away and loved the fact (with the Kindle app anyway) that you could press a word to find out a meaning or a stat. The page said "Riga" and straightaway I knew Riga it "is the capital and largest city of Latvia, a major industrial, commercial, cultural and financial centre of the Baltics, and an important seaport, situated on the mouth of the Daugava." It also has 709,145 .
5. Huge app library. It's great that you can select so many apps according to your tastes/needs. The Genius for iPad makes it even more intuitive.
6. Crisp screen, very good sound.
7. It's lightweight. When carrying it in a shoulder bag I didn't even realise it was there.
8. Ability to tilt the screen around according to the angle you're viewing it.
9. With 3G it is great to able to fire up the app from pretty much anywhere in the UK and get information sent directly to you. Great if you're out house-hunting, want a coffee and need to read a paper, need to get emails out fast and much more.
10. Battery life is great. This device will go for hours before needing a recharge.