We have been involved in blogging since around 2003 and have been offering blogging courses for many years (starting in 2005). Over the last year or so we have been delivering WordPress courses. We think that WordPress is one of the most powerful blogging platforms out there and with its relative ease of use it is an ideal solution for those who have limited html experience. Here are some of the reasons why we think WordPress is such a great platform.
- It's free - WordPress.com is free and even downloading the 'kit' to develop yourself is free (hosting is something you will have to sort out).
- Scalable - both in terms of what you want to achieve and in terms of your knowledge. If you want basic functionality, why not start out with WordPress' hosted solution? Want more functionality? Host in on your own server (but you my need html knowledge unless you use a pricier like GoDaddy).
- Easy to use - understand how to use Gmail, Yahoo! or Hotmail? Then WordPress should come easy to you. This is one, very intuitive platform.
- Up-to-date - if you're using the hosted version of WordPress, you will be prompted to update to the latest version. If it's hosted by someone like GoDaddy or some other hosting company it's straightforward to update. These updates mean that you can always take advantage of the very latest advances from this platform.
- Browser not desktop based - you can access WordPress from any browser, desktop or laptop regardless of where you are.
- Search Engines love it - it's structured so well for search engines. Headlines become page titles and URL's and the underlying architecture is solid. Just notice how your pages start appearing for myriad searches on google, et al. But don't forget YOU still have to understand how SEO works to help. There are some plugins such as Yoast SEO for WordPress and All in One SEO Pack, which will AID you in your SEO efforts.
- 3rd party themes and plugins - both the hosted and self-hosted versions offer a wide variety of website themes and plugins to give the look and functionality of your site/blog. Check these WordPress themes and these WordPress plugins for starters.
- It's a blog and a website - WordPress has two key parts: pages and posts which allow you not just to write blog articles (posts) but also pages which can help to flag up products, services, contact us and about us pages.
- Mobile ready - we know that Google is a 'mobile first' company but WordPress also lets you create sites which are responsive and designed for both desktop and laptop viewing.
- Social media friendly - whether you want to connect up your channels on your blog or just allow visitors to share your content on their favourite platforms, WordPress already has this functionality built in. You can place your social media channel buttons where you wish on your template and add the most suitable social plugins to your blog articles or posts.
- Great administration - WordPress lets you add users, with different privileges, who can create, adminster or edit different elements of the site.